2004-11-29

A Joyous Return from a 4-day Weekend

Ok, so here is how it works. I spend a very nice 4-day weekend at home. Since I didn't want to be cheated out of one ounce of the weekend, I didn't end up getting to sleep until 1am. Ok, so Monday morning arrives. I drag my butt out of bed, and somehow manage to navigate to work. How that works is still a mystery.

I arrived at work a 6:45am, or so. I somehow manage to handle a user problem related to a duplicate IP address. I think the same mysterious part of my brain that handled the morning commute is somehow at play here, but I was too tired to ponder it at the time. I manage to catch up on my email, then I checked my calendar for the day.

Egad! I got two all-day meetings with out-of-town visitors. Neither group has a solid agenda for the day, but it's ok with me if it's ok with them. I spend all day bouncing between two all-day meetings. One would think that this little bit of excitement would be enough to vanquish my fatigue...

But no... For some reason the lights seemed slightly dimmer than I remembered. I'm sure it was all in my mind, but this is a pale consolation when you're praying for something that stops you from outright sawing logs right there in the meeting. Don't get me wrong - the topics in the meetings were all important to at least some portion of the attendees, but none of the early-morning material was relevant enough to lift me out of my fog.

Oh ya - I forgot to mention the coffee. How can four 16-ounce coffees not do *something* to remove the stupor?!? It's probably some type of plot. If I drank that many mugs of my home-brewed coffee I'd be bouncing off the walls. As is, it probably only prevented me from falling sound asleep in the meetings.

At any rate, I survived the day, to make it home. But wait! No no - seriously - wait until you hear this. I get home only to find my wife sound asleep. Even the sound of four dogs barking with glee was not enough to wake my wife upon my arrival. So I grabbed a beer and posted this blog entry.

No comments: